Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A Valentines Day I'll Never Forget

February 14 has come. And again, this is another time for the reds and the pinks, for chocolates and flowers, for lovers in romance, and what-not. Valentines Day is another ordinary day for me. I don’t have a date to be given gifts, and I don’t want to spend the little money that I have. So for a guy like me, who cares about Valentines Day?

But that is ought to change…

I am wearing my only pink T-shirt today, since me and my barkada agreed on wearing the color, and just to go with the Valentines’ craze. Right outside the school gates, I can see a lot of tinderos and tinderas bringing in their flowers and balloons, hoping to get more revenues. Inside the campus, guess what? Almost everyone’s in pink. Oh well.

I said to myself: “Valentines Day, a time of love and forgiveness.” Then I thought about Kathlene and Jobby. I feel sad for the years they’ve shared together, all gone to waste just because of a misunderstanding. They sat beside each other, but each turning a blind eye.

That is why, my mission for this season of love, is to reunite Kathlene and Jobby again.

(Note: You can read about Kathlene and Jobby in my "Being the Middleman" post.)

Later that afternoon, I went to the school gates and bought flowers. I am still confused as to what flower I would give them: the red rose or the pink one (sorry, I don’t know the name :P ). Packaging-wise, I would prefer the pink ones. I bought two, and also bought a balloon. I picked the green one, since green is my favorite color.

I asked Lornie, a friend, if it is okay giving both of them the gifts. I told her my reasons, and she gave me two-thumbs up. And she offered her help.

I wrote a little note on the flowers and on the balloon. I’m puzzled as to giving both of them flowers, or I’ll give one the flowers and the balloon to the other. Lornie told me that it would be better if I give them separate gifts. That, I should give the balloon to Kathlene, since green is also her favorite color. Coincidence?

I’m still nervous as to what I would be doing soon. When should I give the gifts: after the class or before the class? I’ve got to find the right timing.

I left the flowers and the balloon in our office.

I went to the canteen to buy some yellow pad paper. Lornie, Cristina, and Kathlene were there. Lornie and Cristina called me up for help with our IT 23 lessons. Meh, I am just as perplexed as they are. :P

I never looked at Kathlene. Though she talked to me, I just quipped quick replies and smiled.

Then the bell rang; we need to go to class now. And I’m getting more and more nervous.

What should I do? When should I give it to them? Should I listen to Lornie’s advice on giving it during the class, or follow my own instincts and instead give it to them after the class?

God-knows-how.

I’m building up more confidence. Damn, and Sir Caliao is already here; I should hurry up. Out of the blue, a brilliant idea came into my mind!

I hurriedly went back to the office to take the gifts. In the classroom, I asked Sir Caliao to please give me a few minutes of time. And in front of the class, I told everyone about these two special persons in my life. That they once were good friends, but because of some uncertainties had a change of heart. LOL, and I lost my words, and cut my speech. I handed over the balloon to Kathlene and the flower to Jobby. I told the class how special these two are to me. And how I wanted them to reconcile, to let bygones be bygones, and start moving on.

I immediately went to my seat, and covered my face. I didn’t turn my head onto their direction, since I still feel embarrassed.

Oh, and Sir proceeded with the test.

After the class, Kathlene and Jobby told me that I was “O.A.” Well, call me overacting if you want to. Lornie also smiled at me.

I looked back on what I have done tonight. I’m proud of it. And if they come on good terms again, that will be the best Valentine gift I’ll ever receive.



0 Comments: