Thursday, February 15, 2007

A Talk With Kathlene

One should look on both sides of the coin…

Kathlene caught my attention while I was heading back to the office. She was sitting all alone in one of the Engineering rooms; I wonder why.

She talked to me about what happened last night. She appreciates what I have done. She was happy that there was one friend that was concerned for her and Jobby. She’s also happy that even for the short span of time, I considered them as friends. That I was having a hard time checking on the both of them. (read: A Valentines Day I'll Never Forget)

“I never thought that there was one friend who was deeply concerned with me and Jobby, and I’m so fortunate to have you as a friend. Even for a short span of time, you’ve considered us to be special…I appreciate your efforts”

“But you weren’t in the right timing…”

Upon hearing this, I was shocked! Did I do something wrong? Didn’t things go out as planned?

“You should’ve looked on both sides of the coin. Jobby has her story; I also have my fair share of it. And I find it unfair that you didn’t…”

“And now, the whole class knew about our misunderstanding…That which I have tried to avoid and kept into secrecy for a very long time…”

Damn, I never thought that I made such a huge mess last night! Now everyone in my class found out that Kathlene and Jobby are not in good terms.

These girls are melancholic in nature; they don’t really talk that much. I thought that people already knew about their dilemma, but I was surprised when Kathlene told me it isn’t. Damn, these ladies sure know how to keep things in secrecy.

I have the noblest of intentions, but I wasn’t in the right timing. I guess I was a bit aggressive. Kathlene and Jobby may reunite, and that time will come. The problem is that who will cast the first stone? Kathlene is willing to do it, but she will do it not because I requested it, but because she wanted to.

I admit, I wasn’t able to hear Kathlene’s side of the story. I guess I am to blame. Jobby sits next to me, so I can bleakly talk to Kathlene. It’s always Jobby’s part that I hear, and I admit I was bias to Kathlene. I thought that Kathlene was just acting too immature as to why a simple misunderstanding would cause a crack in the pot. I always thought Kathlene was the bad one, and Jobby was innocent.

“How did Jobby tell you what happened?”

I told her that it started with the Sinulog celebration, and that after a heated argument on a Wednesday evening, I later found out that the both of them are no longer in speaking terms. (read: Being the Middleman)

“I see. She only told you a part of the whole.”, and she shared to me her side of the story.

Later that Wednesday night, Jobby told her that it was all her fault as to why she didn’t enjoy their company; that she was selfish, a crybaby, and doesn’t know how to mingle with people. She was hurt with Jobby’s remark.

“I am not a perfect friend, and I will never be. If she wants to have one, then it’s not me. For all those times we’ve shared together, she just saw my imperfections right there and then?”

Then Thursday came. Kathlene was surprised that Lornie already knew about them, when in fact she never told anyone about it.

“I wanted to solve the problem by ourselves. It could’ve worked out, but she told everyone. And the sad thing is, she made it appear that it was my entire fault.”

She texted Jobby to ask her why. Yes, there were exchanges of replies, but Kathlene decided not to respond to her anymore.

“Jobby always wants things to happen for her advantage. She always wants to appear right. She wants people to understand her, but she refuses to understand others…”

“This has happened a lot of times before, but it just happened that now they reached the brink of their limits, and burst…”

As I was listening to her story, I felt like a needle pinched me in the heart. I was very unfair to Kathlene. I should have taken the effort of hearing her long ago. I felt like instead of pulling them out together, I’m pushing them away further. I’m such a loser.

Kathlene missed the times when she and Jobby go together, eat together, times when they are crossing the street and how Kathlene is so clumsy in crossing, and that Jobby will tease her. Times that are now long gone…

“I have a phobia for crossing streets…”

She appreciates me giving her a green-colored balloon. She really favors the color, and even have a collection of green stuff, from notebooks down to combs. With a faint smile, I told her that green is also my favorite color, and it was mere coincidence that it was also her favorite color, thanks to Lornie for informing me sooner.

And the school bell rang. I have to get back to my room for the next subject. I waved Kathlene goodbye, but I’m hoping to talk to her soon…

0 Comments: