Thursday, February 22, 2007

Third Place - Once Again

*and again, I posted late*

The PRISAA Meet has officially finished, including the IT Quiz Bowl held last Feb. 17. And here I am to tell you what transpired, though this story is a bit expired, considering the date. (Read: Leaving for Bohol)

Preparations were sloppy. Upon reaching Bohol, we went straight to University of Bohol for the meeting (coaches and organizers). Guess what? The mechanics are not yet plotted out, even the criteria for judging the programming rounds. Worse, the questions weren’t prepared yet! The teams are yet to contribute questions for the identification round, and have the judges prepare the programming questions. O-kay.

Another thing: there will only be six contingents participating; three from Cebu and three from Bohol. No delegations from Negros; I don’t know why. The Negros representative didn’t give much detail. Hmmm, now we have a bigger chance of winning this time. But I don’t want to underestimate the Boholanos competing, I said to myself.

*presses Fast-Forward*

We reached the Auditorium minutes earlier. We almost got lost looking for the venue; glad we asked.

The auditorium was so cold, and I mean it. Never mind the temperature, but I was really chilling, and I needed to step out of the room to warm up. Ma’am Soque told me that perhaps because of my ‘skinny-ness’ that I don’t have insulation to cold. I guess so, since the others were just alright. As in, I was having a hard time writing down the answers, and my voice is quivering. Oh my God!

We were almost eliminated in the first round. The questions were tough as expected, and us unable to study much is added weight. But luckily there was a team with the lower score than us, so we qualified for Round 2.

The problems we solved for Round two were: the user inputting a range of values from 1 to 1000, determining the prime numbers, and deciding among the prime numbers the palindromes; the ever-famous Fibonacci sequence; and the perfect numbers. We solved a streak of two-of-three.

The funny thing was, the teams who qualified for Round 3 were the same teams who got the Top 3 slate during the CESAFI IT Quiz. (Read: We Won)

Round three composed of the problems: determining the rightmost non-zero digit of a factorial number; the user entering a sentence and if an exclamation point is found, the character next to it will be echoes seven times, and if an asterisk, the next two characters will be echoed five times; and determining the decimal pattern of the numerator/denominator division.

And again, we fell into Third Place; but CIT was able to snatch the laurel from USC, thus garnering the first place. Honestly, I expected that our team will win this time, since the other two teams were lamenting on not being able to solve the problems. We were ‘able’ to solve the two problems to say the least, so I lied to them. To my surprise (ironically, I expected it), I think they also lied to us on not finishing the problems. LOL

CIT will now represent Region VII for the National PRISAA Meet in Iloilo. To my astonishment, the Academic wing of the Regional PRISAA Meet will stop in Bohol, and only the Athletics wing will proceed. Sayang.

Ma’am Maris and Ma’am Soque said that me and Anabelle will represent the school for next year’s CESAFI Meet. We should do better next time.

0 Comments: