Sunday, February 25, 2007

Of Birthdays and Parting Ways

Yesterday was a double-celebration: Ma’am Soque’s despedida party, and Anabelle’s 20th birthday, organized by Sir AA, the BITS, and The New Datatron. It was held at Kristine’s (our Datatron President) house at Consolacion. It was planned to be in Camp Marina, but later on decided to hold the event on the former for cost-cutting.

Ma’am Soq will be flying to South Korea to commit her Masterals. She was able to pass the scholarship, along with a fellow teacher. They will be flying this March 1 and will stay there for two years.

I will definitely miss Ma’am Soq. She has very helpful, especially for coaching me and Anabelle during the CESAFI and the PRISAA IT Quiz Bowl. She is our instructor, our Datatron adviser, and most of all a friend. No amount of words can tell how Ma’am Soque is as a person.

Though we rarely see her attend the meetings, but it’s understandable since she also has her own personal and professional work, and she also helps us in the background.

We performed a series of numbers: the first-years performing a life-portrayal of Ma’am Soq in class, and also a rendition of ____ (I forgot the song :P); the sophies and the juniors singing to the tune of ‘Journey’ by Lea Salonga; and a chorus of ‘Farewell’ by Raymond Lauchengco. What’s funny is that, our (sophies and juniors) performance was impromptu; yes, we know the songs, but we don’t have any actions. Another thing is that, they asked me to deliver a speech at that instant. Oh my God, what am I gonna say? But needless to say, I was able to formulate an instant speech. XD

We could see Ma’am Soq fell into smiles as she was watching us perform our numbers. And by the time we took the cake (both for her and Anabelle, of course with a special note written on icing) out of hiding, she fell into tears. I couldn’t dare to look at her face, for some reason. No, it’s not because I’m gonna cry (how I wish I could cry that easier, but I guess I have to peel more onions just to get my tear glands working). But I could already see the others falling into tears…

Now, it's her time to open up. She told us that she was thankful for everything good she has received. She was surprised and gladdened that we took the effort of giving her a little tribute, even if she wasn’t able to contribute much to the group. Though she still feels unprepared for the journey, but she’s gonna stand up and survive.

“I’m doing this not just for me, but for the school, to the teachers, and of course to you guys and the students…”

She was comforted by Sir AA. Sir AA has always been our stronghold, a very hardworking and dedicated man. He’s been the glue that sticks everyone together. Sir AA, I may as well write an article for you. So, I’m limiting my thoughts for you, and give it to Ma’am Soq for the moment. No stealing of limelight, ok? XD

And we ate the cake…

Oh, I almost forgot: Anabelle’s birthday. A teenie-weenie trivia: Kristine’s family are members of the Jehovah’s Witness, and it’s against their tradition to mention (and celebrate) birthdays. So what we did? We just hummed a line of the “Happy Birthday” song. Hope they didn’t found out. XD

Bon Voyage, Ma’am Soque. Happy 20th Birthday, Anabelle. Good health and God Bless to both of you!

0 Comments: