Friday, July 13, 2007

The Streetchildren's Courage

Relative to my previous post, this morning, I decided to look for companies that would satisfy our thesis. Most of the establishments along the highway are starting to open as I was passing by. Yes, I am supposed to go on-duty that morning (at Lexmark R&D), but I want to settle our thesis preparation first. September 27 is the deadline of submission, and we don't have that much time left.

I was just standing infront of a construction supply shop, like waiting for the 'Juan dela Cruz-ian' guava to fall off the tree. And somehow, the guava bumped on my forehead instead on my mouth, shaking me off. I was packing my courage. I thought going alone would be easy as I have always bragged, but it really is not.

Like what usually happened yesterday, I was rejected of my offer. I said it's alright, but deep inside, I'm frustrated, down, and somewhat discouraged. I can't help it. It has never been easy looking for a company willing to be conducted a study, and we've been looking for one for quite some time now. I felt like giving up. I guess I just have to wait for Rose Ann and Jofil.

Then my contemplation was suddently shaken up, by this street kid. Actually there were many of them, but only one approached me and opened his palms, asking for some loose change. I didn't give him anything, and he just went along with the other kids. God, where are the parents of these children?

It's a regular sight, seeing kids like them wearing clothes of dirt and lackluster, sometimes they have none. Children draped with mud and dust, smothered by roaming vehicles or by sleeping on the pavement. Children criss-crossing the busy highways, unwary of the dangers of being run over, and worse being ran away by irresponsible drivers. You might wonder where they are going, but they may not be going anywhere. They have nothing to go. They just let themselves be taken by life's currents. They just let themselves be hounded by life's demons.

With the pressing economic situation of the country, and the seeming lack of action from the government to provide support to the poverty line, not to mention society's prying eyes and lack for human compassion, the families of these children are left with no choice. No parent would want to perish one's brethren, but what more can they do with the only power they have? What's their raison d'etre if they are condemned by society, being their only resort?

I do not exempt myself, washing my hands off of the issue. I am a part of the society that condemns them. And I myself did nothing of much worth to leverage their lives, aside from handing them over a few pieces of bread (on several occasions). :(

Watching them walk away, I was telling to myself. These kids get more humiliations than I did. They get ignored, abused, imprisoned, beaten up and shooed, and more. They cry, but they can stand up again. They are already immune; life's pressures have shaped them and made their hearts and tough as steel. They are still valiant on approaching people and opening their palms. Even if rejected, they can just move on. They've got nothing to lose; they've been deprived of everything in the first place. Though a growing number of them are doing mischievous acts, but they were just pushed by their condition, abused of their innocence by people. They are not to blame.

How I wish I was just as tough, as brave as them. How I wish I can just 'open my palms' on people with ease, alongside of respect.

I've learned a very valuable lesson in life, and it came from the least expected person(s), but at the right time. The street children's courage is something worth emanating. I hope the government pays due attention to their condition.

It's time for me to jump to the next construction supply shop...
I hope I can do it this time.

0 Comments: