Sunday, June 3, 2007

Got My Teeth Cleaned Today

My last oral prophylaxis was like when I was five years old. Mom was with me then, and I got terribly afraid with the dentist back then. Nostalgia. :)

And fastforward to the 21st century, around fourteen years after then (which makes my age... ;) ), now I stood infront of the dentist's clinic. I've decided to take this operation in preparation for my study tour to South Korea this June 11-21. I want to look good, you know. :p

This time, I don't have Mom nor anyone beside me, just myself. I'm a bit nervous as to how the operation (of all the words, why operation?) will go. It's been more than a decade past, and I don't remember how it went through. But one thing I can recall is that I spit blood back then (which I don't think is bad).

Finally it was my turn in my dentist's 'bed' (I don't know what exactly is it called). Ok, gotta do this. :)

As a S.O.P. (standard operating procedure), she checked my teeth first. She told me that there are a lot of damaged teeth, and should be extracted. It was around three to be exact, all molars. Blame my childhood candy habits and not brushing for that. :(

Going on...

I won't go over the details on how it went, especially on the technical term of the instruments used (I checked for Google, but it was all-text. I did find one with pictures, but it was about veterinary oral prophylaxis. :( ). But it really hurt, especially when she was scraping the calculus off of my teeth, using this pen-like instrument with a hook, and hitting my gums. She also had an assistant that put a hose-like instrument, springing water on my mouth as the dentist was going over in-between my teeth. I felt like choking.

But I have full trust to the dentists, and I know I'm safe in their hands, so I just closed my eyes and went through the operation.

There was even a power failure, but it was restored immediately.

After, I felt my teeth numbing, with bits of chipped-off enamel stuck under my tongue. Even after gargling a lot, there are still some left. And I did spit blood again. As of typing, my gums are still bleeding, though not grave.

It cost me a hefty P700.00. For a student like me, the amount still hurts on my pocket, but I got the best value for it anyway. :)

I am advised to have another cleaning session six months after, so that it will not hurt a lot unlike today. And also, I have to gargle with mouthwash, since my gums are swollen. :(

I guess this is the price I have to pay...

0 Comments: