Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A News of Good

I got a call from the Executive Director of the Embassy of the Republic of Korea (in Makati), Miss Jerry, that I am officially included for the Korean study tour. She already sent me a couple of books about Korea, and a copy of the tour's program. Sadly, I didn't bring the program as of typing time. I would've posted it in here. :)

She's also to send my passport (together with my visa), and will be getting it in a day or two.

I hurriedly went to school to inform Mr. Chiu (the one who recommended me for the tour) about the good news. At first he was dubious about the information, and even asked me (again) when the tour will be, and if I am officially a participant. I told him that there was no direct word from Miss Jerry that I am officially a part of the tour (ironic, isn't it?). I just hoped that her sending of the books and of my passport was enough averment of my inclusion. I'll be giving Miss Jerry a call for an official endorsement, and ask her a few questions.

I think he was satisfied with what I said...

He then accompanied me to the university's President, Atty. Go's office to relay to him the news too. Atty. Go is the Honorary Consulate to Korea, perhaps one of the reasons why our school was also chosen to be a part of the tour. And as far as what Miss Jerry told me is concerned, University of Cebu is the only school in Cebu to be participating the program, with others from the NCR (Ateneo, La Salle, and UP).

Just the thought of meeting the President up-close sent shivers down my spine, much more when I've actually seen him. At first he had this stern impression, and he was quiet, giving only a little of words.

He had this self-portrait hanging behind the doors. His office had a wide space, open to anyone who'd like to come to him. But surely an aura of formality enveloped the office, a distinct quality of any executive edifice.

"He is our student participant for the Korean tour, and we're here to ask for your blessing." -- in thought, that was what Mr. Chiu said, though I rephrased it. Atty. Go then went to a little room behind his table, and was checking something out. It was two-$100 bills! Actually, that was what Mr. Chiu meant with 'blessing.' Atty. Go is also known for his generosity, always wanting to help. I was expecting it too, but never thought that it would be that much. With the current dollar-peso exchange rate, the amount would come out to be around P9,000.00! My, I never held such an amount before, especially for me. And no, I asked Mr. Chiu to keep the money instead of me. :)

Also as part of the program, we're also given the chance to endorse our respective schools to Korean universities we are to visit. A couple of the school's brochures are helpful. Heh, and I guess I need to prepare a speech, my testimonial about the school and its programs. I'm thinking of pointing out more on the school's ESL program, where we have a lot of Korean nationals enrolled.

And only one person is of ascendancy when it comes to the school's promotional affairs: Sir Rudy Aviles. You may ask why I introduced him in such a way. A pioneer of the Philippine Arts (especially on Theater/Performance Arts), Sir Rudy has been on minor and major arts productions in and out of the country, let alone his other achievements. And he's also the adviser of the school's Theater Workshop Company, where I was a member of two years (after I quit this year to run in our college government). I still have qualms on facing him. :(

Days soon I will be interviewed about my participation and it will be posted on the school's magazine. Having a page or two about me surely makes me jitter. I wonder if I'll be ready to answer.

I'm even tense about my participation, whether I can do everything right and never mess up. Somehow I still feel inferior, especially with the schools going also to the tour. Those three are highly celebrated schools, and are known to be the homes of the elite. I even have low faith on my English skills. :(

Can I represent the school (and the country) in the best that I could? Can I overcome my inferiority complex? Things are still to happen, be it good or bad. But I'm crossing my fingers.

0 Comments: