Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A Monumental Feat

I volunteered as a poll-watcher for yesterday’s Local and National Elections. This will be my firsthand experience on voting, I want to make my first time of vote a more memorable one. Apparently, this is also my first time volunteering for the elections. At regular times I would rather stay in my comfort zone, bumming around and checking the Internet.

I was assigned to poll-watch a precinct three-floors-and-a-few-meters away from my voting precinct. Someone was already assigned on the latter. There were also poll watchers from the opposing parties with me. Poll results are too hot to leave the rest to the poll personnel, who may already be ‘influenced’ by one candidate. In fairness to the poll people in that precinct, they were able to maintain a state of neutrality and imposed equal sanctions/rulings for everyone in the room.

I would consider the precinct one of the ‘most peaceful and orderly’. Our voters need not to fall in line (and this scheme, by the way, tends to be more insecure, since it is prone to pushing and shoving, and has a high percentage of ‘over-takers’; that’s just my observation) but instead use priority slips. The chairman needs not to repetitively ask the voters their data, since it is indicated in their priority slips. Most of all, they make sure that voters will see, by their eyes, that their ballots are put inside the ballot box, let alone the thumb marking and the indelible ink.

By 3:00PM the polls are officially closed. Time to tally the votes.

I was the one tallying the votes for the local candidates – etching lines on the tally sheet as the chairman calls the candidates’ names on the ballots. The proceedings went along smoothly, but there were still minor complications. One of which is when the number on the Election Returns and on the Tally Sheets did not match. We have to go over ALL of the counted ballots to verify. And it wasn’t easy, since we’ve already used our eyes (and energies) up too much since the start of the voting (at 7:00AM), and considering that it’s already ‘sleep time’ when we counted the votes (we finished around 10:00PM), add up the illegibility of some of the handwritings.

I thought that after the counting of the ballots, I can then go home and watch JuMong, but no. I have to stay on my post from the counting of the ballots until the ballot box is locked and delivered to the COMELEC, among with other must-sees.

I went home around 3:00AM. Come to think that Mom fetched me up, since it’s too unsafe for me to walk alone in the wee hours of the morning. A cousin, who is also a volunteer, has gone home early afternoon to do her laundry. She then informed Mom that I’ll be going home later. Unlike the politician-backed poll-watchers, we don’t have our alternates (not too many people volunteered, sadly), so we have to stay in full-shift. She was waiting for me from 8:00PM until we went home.

I wasn’t able to finish my report (I forgot the report name, but it is required of all poll watchers. Data to be furnished include security checks, time logs, decorum, etc.), since Mom wants me to go home already and to think that I still have to report to my work tomorrow (today).

The work was arduous (I was already dozing while walking back home), but it was offset by the feeling of fulfillment gushing forth. At least I have done something for the country. This is surely a monumental feat, and I’m proud of myself.

If I’ll be volunteering again next election period, well, I still have three years to decide. :)

0 Comments: