Thursday, September 6, 2007

The New Breeds

And the contest is finished...

Surprisingly, we topped the Identification Round, the one that I really loath. And on the programming round, well, we weren't able to solve one of the two problems. It was the determination of the original price, given the markdown percentage and the net price (inputted by the user).

We weren't able to make it to Round 3. A team from UC-Main, UC-LM, and Comp. Eng. qualified for the final programming round, which was to solve a problem involving searching for numbers in a string of characters, computing their sum, and sorting them. To be honest, this problem is a lot easier than determining the original price. Oh well.

It's like the world turned upside down. We failed in programming yet swept the identification round.

And as the results were laid, Joy and Jayrome (from UC-Main) had the successful algorithm at the fastest time, giving them the win. Joy and Jayrome belongs to the elite few top students of their year (they're in 3rd Year).

Deep inside, I really wanted to win. Who doesn't want to? I felt like I disappointed Ma'am Maris. I felt like I could've done better if I studied more. However, I'm still glad for Joy and Jayrome for topping the contest. At least, the winning team came from my campus. Hmmm, I can smell a pinch of sourgraping here. :D

I and Anabelle joked on us getting all rusty. Hahaha. It's high time for the college to discover new breeds, and they've just found them. As for me, I can't dedicate my full time to joining contests, as I've stated in the previous post.

Joy and Jayrome's got a long way to go. Who knows, they would get more achievements than what I and Anabelle had. I'm looking forward to that.

UC-Main Rocks!

0 Comments: