Friday, August 3, 2007

The Experience that was Korea: My Essay

This is my long overdue essay to be submitted to the South Korean Embassy. I am supposed to submit this last July 21, a month after the program's closure (June 21). And look at what date it is now?

No amount of excuse will justify this shortcoming of mine. :(

But anyway, here's my essay:

------

The Experience that was Korea


Annyong haseyo.

I could still remember what happened when I first stepped foot on Korea’s soil: the jitters of the first time, the inevitable jetlag and culture shock, the company of strangers. Everything was so new to me. I had to survive this ten-day journey all by myself; without my family and friends. I hope I’ve done enough preparations to ready me for this experience.

I am a recipient of the so-called “Korean Wave”. I have this growing penchant for Korean dramas and Korean music. I hope the little knowledge I have about the country can aid me throughout. Seeing the country itself is something I can’t wait to do. I don’t know what to expect, and I refuse to. I’ll let myself be blown away by the experience that is Korea.

Being a small country, worse divided, Korea has to use all of her resources, under the ground and above the sea, exploit it to its extent. Space is a very important factor.

I am greatly impressed with how Korea has progressed. Never in my own have I seen such huge skyscrapers juxtaposed in the skyline. I couldn’t stop looking head high. Their road systems are sophisticated, with buses/private cars on the main roads and subway trains serving the underground. Their roads are wide enough not to congest vehicles; bumper-to-bumper traffic was highly unlikely. One would really lose his way especially if one isn’t familiar yet. It was also the first time I saw an ‘underground market’, in its literal sense. Towering apartments stretching even up to its mountainous landscape was so overwhelming. Korean companies are also stepping their feet into the international market, and are considered to be of quality.

But its exhaustion does not compromise the country’s natural beauty. Aquamarine blue waters, luscious flowers, green trees and mountains still abound Korea’s busy metropolis, much more in its provinces. Undeniably, Korea is an emerging superpower, creating balance of its natural and man-made resources.

Koreans put a lot of value on their cultural heritage. They’re doing their best to preserve the remaining relics, even to the point of restoring those that are decimated, especially the ones destroyed during the Korean War. The Korean Folk Village is a perfect example of their undying tribute to their history.

Koreans are fond of spicy foods. A meal will never be complete without kimchi; different varieties of the dish were served on regular intervals. Fruits and vegetables are also prominent on the table. I’ve also noticed that there were dishes that appeared to have no preservatives / flavouring; it was served on a separate platelet. Koreans have a big appetite. Aside from a pot-full of the main course, there were also a whole lot of side dishes. What’s amazing is that they can finish all of it in a matter of minutes, while I myself can’t even settle on the main course. Oh well. But one thing rewarding about my Korean food experience is learning how to use the chopsticks. 

Koreans are always in a hurry – ‘pali-pali’ or ‘hurry-hurry’. The horror of the post-Korean War vendetta catalyzed their people’s vision to do everything in a hurry, with no time to lose. Our interpreter told us that Korea was able to hasten its progress; what was to take hundreds of years was sped up to only 30 years or so. It was an amazing feat for such a short period of time! On a relative note, there was also one time during our busy shopping that a Korean bumped on us, and never did apologize. I found it rude for him not even saying ‘sorry’. But later on, it was explained in one of our lectures: bumping on someone is normal in Korea, and it doesn’t count as ‘rude’, since there was no pain intended. Here’s a simple formula: Koreans always in hurry plus busy streets is equal to bumps with no sorries. 

I, for one, stereotyped Koreans as being indifferent, aloof, and discriminatory, among others. Back in my place, I don’t usually see them going together with Filipinos. There was also one time that a comrade and I went to an English school for Koreans. We humbly greeted them and smiled, but we got no reaction but blank glances.

Then after hearing from one of our lectures, I’ve understood why they reacted that way. They are more comfortable staying with their fellow Koreans, and they aren’t that gregarious.

The Koreans are accommodating. The Moon family (our homestay host) provided us with the necessities we needed, and even provided more. We didn’t expect such a warm acceptance from them. They’re also ‘game’ for laugh trips, and they were so willing to share us their life stories. They didn’t let us feel like strangers/guests, but part of the family. I could then remember the feeling of home. Truly, it takes one to know one.

But the ultimate test was the language barrier. Korean Hangeul is the mother tongue, and the country is still beginning to learn English. Surely, the Hangeul common phrases we learned were handy, but it gets worse when we dig into the details. We can’t express ourselves in Hangeul the thoughts that aren’t covered by the ‘common phrases.’ I’m glad the Moon family knows English.

They value the 2002 FIFA World Cup very much. I have not watched the World Cup personally. That’s why I’m so eager finding out why they put such value to the ‘game’. Later on I found out that they consider the cup as the catalysing event that positioned the country to the whole world. People around the world were surprised by the amazing display of the Koreans’ homogeneity and strength. It was cathartic to watch the Red Devils flooding the streets, cheering for the Korean soccer team. They have set the record of the first-ever Asians to compete for the semi-finals of the prestigious cup. The world has grown a huge amount of interest about Korea after then.

After watching the highlights of the cup, I felt like crying. But it’s still appalling and ironic to note that even with their unity, the country is separated into two. The Moon family is hoping that someday both Koreas will coexist, and is supporting the government’s move for reunification. I guess most of them feel the same way.

What made the experience more worthwhile was the convergence of students all around South East Asia. Not only did we engross ourselves about the Korean culture, but also learned things about our neighbouring countries. This experience has left an indelible mark unto everyone.

It was my first time going out of my country. This trip brought along with it many first-time experiences. No amount of words can describe the happiness I’ve felt when I was announced to be the representative of the school for the Korean trip, and even after the trip has finished. I never did imagine that this will happen to me.

It may have been over, but the memories I've spent with everyone will remain in me. I'll share this wonderful story with friends, family, and to anyone who wants to listen to it. We made friends out of complete strangers, met different kinds of people, been to interesting places, learned new knowledge, immersed with different cultures, shared thoughts in life, that all-in-all made this ten-day escapade a memorable part of everyone's life.

I hope someday, I can step my feet back into Korea’s shores again…

Kamsa hamnida.

0 Comments: